Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Merry Christmas from the Big Apple!

For our Christmas present to each other this year Phillip surprised me by giving me something I have wanted for a long time, a trip to NYC at Christmas time. One of Phillip's best friend's, Nathanael Mahaffey lives in Manhatten so we made arrangements to stay with him for the weekend. Phillip's parents were kind enough to come stay with Brody for the weekend so we could go. 

We arrived in New York on a Thursday night ( the weekend of December 17th, the weekend before Christmas). Mahaffey met us at the airport and we rode the bus to the subway, and then took that to his place.



These pictures were taken in the bus on the way to the subway. These were taken at around 11 o'clock at night, so needless to say there were quite a few characters on the bus at that time. We clearly stood out as tourists as we were taking pictures on the gross bus. 


About a block from Mahaffey's place there is a hot dog place that he likes so he took as there. What blew my mind about this experience was the fact that so many places were open this late ( it was close to midnight when we went there).


His apartment is about two blocks from Times Square. 












The next morning we went to Times Square again, took more pictures, and found a place where we ate breakfast. 







I took this picture in honor of Brody because he loves Elmo!






Outside of Radio City Music Hall!! The week before the Heisman ceremony was held here where Baylor's own Robert Griffin III won!



Rockefeller tree! It was beautiful! We have seen it on TV so many times and now we got to see it in person!






We went to 5th avenue and saw all of the beautiful stores. The decorations in the windows were amazing. Walking down Fifth avenue was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Sacks Fifth Avenue





St. Patrick's church on 5th avenue.









The Plaza Hotel.



The inside of the Plaza was amazing, it looks just like it does in the movies!





After going to the Plaza Hotel we went to Central Park to go on a carriage ride. This is one more thing on my list that I have always wanted to do. I am so blessed to be married to a man who is so thoughtful and sweet! I loved the carriage ride around Central Park, it was so special and romantic. 








For lunch we ate at the Carnegie deli. It was recommended to us by several friends of ours. They served delicious sandwiches and the best cheesecake!






Took these pictures of Elmo and Cookie Monster in honor of Brody because he loves these guys on Sesame Street. 


Times Square.






Another picture taken for Brody with Mickey!


Macy's! This was one of my favorite parts of the trip!




Outside of Macy's this nice man laid on the sidewalk and took our picture with the Empire State building. 




After seeing the Empire State building we took the train to Chinatown. When we got off the subway it was like a whole different world literally. We bought a "Coach" purse which by the way the zipper broke a week later. It was a good experience that I have always wanted to do, even though it was a waste of money. 


There were fish and meat markets everywhere. 




Next stop Little Italy! Phillip and I ate some delicious cannoli's and then enjoyed walking around. I absolutely loved Little Italy! It brought back good memories from our trip to Italy three years ago. 



We then took the subway back to put down our name at Serendipity. On the way there went in Bloomingdales. 


There was a two hour wait at Serendipity so we went to eat dinner while we were waiting. 


Serendipity was everything I thought it would be! It was so cute! It reminded me so much of Serendipity the movie. 


Their famous frozen hot chocolate was AMAZING!




After Serendipity we went to Rockefeller Center to look at the tree at night. It was beautiful! There were so many people there!





Saturday, we woke up to find this flea market going on right outside of Mahaffey's apartment. 


After shopping here for a bit we headed to Times Square to get a bagel. They were delicious.


Mahaffey and Phillip about to take the Subway to the financial district. 


911 area where they are rebuilding the towers. 



Wall street. 




On the Staten Island ferry on our way to see the Statue of Liberty.


We had a beautiful view of the city from the ferry.



It gave me chills to see the Statue. It was very sentimental thinking of all of the people that have seen this statue coming to America and what it symbolizes. It was one of those moments seeing something special that I will never forget. 






After seeing the Statue of Liberty we went to eat lunch. First stop was this tasty little pizza place. 


The pizza was awesome! 



Next stop was a delicious mac and cheese restaurant. It was incredible!



That evening we went to Bryant Park. There were shops there that were so cute! They had soap shops, toy stores, shops with gloves and scarves, etc. it was so neat!



The Bryant Park tree was beautiful!



For dinner we went to Brooklyn to eat at an Italian place called Vinny's. This was some of the best Italian food we had ever had! It as a cozy place owned by an Italian guy named Vinny. I really liked Brooklyn it seemed very livable. 



We had such a great trip it was something I had always wanted to do! I am so thankful to have such a wonderful husband like Philip that makes all my dreams come true. He is such a thoughtful, kind husband, and I love him so much. I am so thankful for such a special memory we will have from this fun trip. I love New York!!!









No comments: